Bhutanese Red Rice Stuffing with Soy, Orange, and Toasted Almonds
By Marie Simmons, author of "The Amazing World of Rice"
Stuffing, Side Dish
Type of Dish side dish
Published Sep 21, 2014
- 1 Cup Bhutan Red Rice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Cups diced onions
- 1 Tbsp minced orange zest
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup natural (skins on) almonds, toasted*, coarsely chopped
- 1 Pcs jalapeno, trimmed and finely chopped (1-2 tablespoons)
- To make Stuffed Cornish Hens:
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4-6 Pcs Cornish Hens
- Cook the rice in 1-1/2 cups boiling salted water until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until onion is golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the orange zest and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice (there will be about 3-1/2 cups), the orange juice, soy sauce, almonds and jalapeno. Stir to blend. Cover and cook just until heated through.
- Serve as a side dish with turkey, chicken, duck or Cornish hens or use as a stuffing** for poultry or vegetables.
- Makes about 6 cups stuffing enough for 6 Cornish hens or 1 small turkey.
- *Toast almonds in 350°F oven for 15 minutes
- **Let rice stuffing cool before stuffing turkey or other poultry
- Stuff Cornish Hens
- Combine the orange juice, honey and soy sauce in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spoon the cooled stuffing loosely into the hens. Tie the legs with kitchen twice. Place hens in a roasting pan and brush the breasts and legs with half of the orange juice mixture.
- Roast 20 minutes. Brush the hens with pan drippings. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and roast the hens, brushing once or twice with the remaining juice mixture and juices in the bottom of the pan until hens are dark golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Spoon any remaining stuffing around the birds during the last 10 minutes of cooking so it can reheat.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 30 minutes.