Red Rice and Broccoli Salad with Lemon Dressing and Tamari Walnuts
Adapted from Marie Simmons' cookbook, "The Amazing World of Rice"
Published Sep 21, 2014
- 1 Cup uncooked Bhutan Red Rice
- 1 Tsp olive or other vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup walnut halves
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Bunch broccoli, with tough stems trimmed, stems sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and flower separated into 1-inch clusters
- 1/2 Cup scallions, trimmed and cut diagonally into thin slices (about 3)
- To Make Lemon Dressing:
- 1/4 Cup olive or other vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 Tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Clove garlic, crushed
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Let stand, uncovered, until cooled.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-sized heavy skillet over medium heat and add the walnuts. Stir-fry just until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Sprinkle with the tamari or soy sauce and stir-fry, adjusting the heat so that the tamari does not burn, until the walnuts are coated with the thickened tamari, about 1 minute.
- Place the broccoli in a vegetable steamer set over gently boiling water and steam covered, until tender, about 4 minutes. Lift the steamer from the saucepan, and then rinse the broccoli with cool water. Drain and cool.
- To make the dressing: In a large bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, tamari or soy sauce, ginger, lemon zest, and garlic.
- Just before serving add the cooked rice, tamari walnuts, broccoli and scallions. Toss to blend.
- Note: If making the salad ahead, set aside the broccoli and tamari walnuts and add just before serving.