Roast Salmon on a Bed on Bhutan Rice Pilaf
By Roland Passot, La Folie Restaurant
Published Sep 22, 2014
- 6.5 oz salmon fillets (skin on and scales off)
- To Taste olive oil salt and pepper
- 1 Recipe Bhutanese Red Rice Pilaf
- To Make Merlot Sauce:
- 3 Slices smoke applewood bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 lb chopped shallots
- 3 oz butter
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 pcs bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cracked pepper
- 2 liters merlot wine
- 2 liters veal stock or beef bouillon
- Roll salmon filets into tournedoes. Use toothpicks to keep the round shape. Cook in olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side. Salt and pepper to taste. Let rest.
- In sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute bacon until lightly crisp. Add shallots, sweat well. Add cracked pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Add wine, let reduce until 1/4 liter. Add stock. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Skim the excess fat well during cooking. Strain in a fine strainer.
- Serve one filet on each plate on a bed of Bhutanese Rice Pilaf. Place salmon on top of rice bed. Spoon sauce over salmon and rice. Sauce may be served on the side if desired.