High Protein Vegan Breakfast Patties
Rice: Madagascar Pink (MCPD)
By: Kris Kelly
Makes 10 (3” patties)
GF, Vegan, Soy-Free, Nut-Free
1 cup packed cooked and cooled Madagascar Pink Rice
(Rice should be prepared according to package directions)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1.5 cups cubed (1/2” cubes) and roasted butternut squash
- (Prepare squash ahead of time by tossing with a little extra-virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast in 350-degree oven for 25 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool)
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup finely chopped cremini mushrooms (about 4 medium-size)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- (Optional: If substituting dry herbs for fresh herbs, reduce quantity to ¾ teaspoon dried rosemary and 1/3 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 2 Tablespoons ground golden flax seed meal, combined with 5 tablespoons water (or feel free to use 1 pastured egg)
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke (bump to ½ teaspoon if you love a smoky flavor)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare rice according to package direction. Allow to cool slightly before packing 1 cup cooked rice.
- Prepare squash by cutting into small, bite-size pieces and roast in 350-degree oven about 25 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Prepare onion, bell pepper, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Using a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and herbs. Give a good stir and allow to continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Prepare flax eggs by combing 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed meal (simply grind whole flax seeds in herb grinder) with 5 Tablespoons water. Stir and set aside. (For non-vegan option, feel free to substitute one pastured egg, lightly beaten)
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine cooked and cooled rice, roasted and cooled squash, sautéed veggies & herbs, hemp seeds, flax egg (or pastured egg), liquid smoke, coconut aminos, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Using a large spoon, mix until well combined. Alternatively, use clean hands and mix the old-fashioned way.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking.
- For perfectly formed patties, use a small canning jar lid (3” side), add a scoop of the mixture inside the ring and press firmly with the palm of your hand. Remove lid.
Note: Make a double batch and freeze for those busy weekday mornings.
Products used in this recipe for co-marketing / partnership posts:
Sunfood - hemp seeds: http://www.sunfood.com/hemp-seeds-shelled-1-lb-organic-raw.html
Big Tree Farms – coconut aminos: http://bigtreefarms.com/products/coco-aminos