Rice: Millet & Brown Rice Ramen
By: Kris Kelly
Makes 4-6 servings
GF, Vegan, Soy-Free
1 package Millet & Brown Rice Ramen Noodles (contains 4 ramen cakes)
½ cup uncooked French lentils, sorted to remove any debris and rinsed
1 ½ cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1 medium red onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery
3 medium carrots, diced
4 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
2 Tablespoons fresh herbs (combination of oregano, thyme and basil)
1 large Bay leaf
1 can fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon real maple syrup
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Using a heavy-bottom pot or Dutch Oven, over medium-high heat, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil, onion and celery. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Add carrots, garlic, herbs and bay leaf. Sprinkle with a nice pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Stir mixture and continue cooking 3-4 more minutes.
- Add uncooked, sorted and rinsed lentils to the pot with 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken stock and both cans of tomatoes. Give another good stir and cover pot with lid.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add a splash of maple syrup to balance the acidity of the tomatoes if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Prepare ramen noodles according to package directions. Drain and serve with a big scoop of Bolognese Sauce. Top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, fresh chopped parsley and basil.