Mexican Rice SoupRice: Organic Volcano Rice By: Kris Kelly
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 cup Lotus Foods, Organic Volcano Rice, prepared according to package directions (I like substituting chicken or vegetable stock instead of water when cooking the rice for this recipe. It adds a nice depth of flavor)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (Increase by 1 ¾ cups if using to replace water when cooking rice)
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 cups frozen organic corn
- 1 can diced fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6-8 lime wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Option: substitute chicken or vegetable broth for water. When finished cooking, set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and celery. Sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add corn, garlic, jalapeño, fire-roasted tomatoes, spices and sea salt. Give a stir to combine and continue to cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and cooked rice. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. This soup comes together quickly as everything is already cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve with fresh, diced avocado and cilantro.